Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life After Breaking Dawn?

So I overreacted. Big deal. I saw the quote and immediately jumped to conclusions. However, I was wrong. I admit it. I never guessed, never came close to what was taking up all those 768 pages.

Well, to be fair, neither did anyone else.

All said and done, I think I was fairly okay with Breaking Dawn. It certainly wasn't the adrenaline-kicking climatix that I'd been waiting for, but neither did I toss it out the window in disgust. Yes, I didn't like how the story was moved along, how the plotline seemed to encorporate too many aspects for it too handle. I didn't like how some things were tied up, and I'd rather if some of those strings were cut. And I regretted that Stephenie Meyer didn't have the bloodthirsty authoring skills of J.K. Rowling, killing off characters and fandoms one by one. Such a pity.

However, I've already ranted about this both at school and online, so moving on.

My next challenge- for want of a better word- is finding more books to satisfy my thirst after all my pent-up hype for Breaking Dawn has been released. I've realised that I've been slightly straying away from the stories of family clashes, teenage romance and high-school blues (but don't get me wrong- I love the teenage angst) and into the realms of fantasy.

A list of books soon to be read- please comment if you find any good reads worth investigating :)

  • Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
    Currently reading the first in the series in Home-Ec lessons while I pretend that I have nothing to do. As a result, my shorts that I am making resemble nothing like the finished product, and I have several scars on my fingers when I tried to read while unpinning my material. Not a good idea.


  • The Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld
    I read the first book in this series as one of many to settle my pre-bookrelease hype, and amazingly, this one I stuck with right until the very end. A wonderful, original plot- hopefully will be reading the next two in the series after the library has ordered them...


  • Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
    Another one by Scott Westerfeld... I've got a lot of variety here, don't I? A strong relation to the Twilight series here- this one is about vampires- the not-oh-so traditional ones. I've read a few chapters of this, having coveted the book from an over-protective blue-haired girl, and so far, I like what I see. Watch this space.


  • Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
    One I've heard much about while dealing with the Twilight world, but never really quite got around to reading. So far on the bottom of a huge waiting list...


  • Night Road by A.M. Jenkins
    Haven't heard too much about this one- recommended by our school librarian on our book club website recently. Will be interesting investigating.


  • Hopefully that list will keep me going for a while. Until I get my hand on them, I'm rereading Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce- a great author for any of you in the epic fantasy genre.

    Finally, because I simply can't be torn away from saying something else about Twilight, here's the full ballet scene from the upcoming movie, filmed at Comic Con:




    And the design we used on our t-shirts!!!

    No comments: