Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Breaking Down for Breaking Dawn

As anyone in the literary world not living under a rock ought to know, Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final novel in Stephenie Meyer's internationally acclaimed series will be released in August within the space of a few days.

If you do not know this already, please hit yourself over with a stick, then calmly proceed to speed through this series. This is serious stuff, people.

Unfortunately Breaking Dawn is released on a Monday for me, and for the last few weeks I have been methodolically planning ways how to escape the school grounds and purchase a copy from the local bookstore (see Grace in my English class for more information- our plans were actually quite good. Plenty of wasted English time was spent wisely on this endeavour. No wonder I haven't started my review yet.)

Fortunately, due to the brilliant influence of one school librarian, and a couple of persuasive students, a bunch of thirteen girls all wearing t-shirts emblazoned with "Bite Me" will be able to be glimpsed in a bookshop at approximately 1 o'clock, possibly screaming with delight/ hyperventilating/ going crazy/ or all of the above.

The sweetest thing? We skip school, and we get extra marks for English for it. :)

I have, I admit, already gone past the point of excitement a few weeks ago. I go on to both Stephenie Meyer's website and Twilight Lexicon several times a day. I trawl through cyberspace in the doomed search of finding good fanfiction to read. My art book is filled with rough sketches of a certain golden-eyed guy. Really, I haven't been like this since the countdown to Deathly Hallows. I wrote a four page essay in the upcoming weeks on contents of JK Rowling's book- concerning paragraphs including "What On Earth Are Deathly Hallows," "People Most Likely To Be Killed Off," (although Hedwig and Dobby never crossed my mind) "Horcruxes- What and Where the Hell Are They?" (I got most of those right too.)

The major problem with Breaking Dawn is that there's still no set problem- no dilemma that will determine the overall plot. If all goes to plan, Bella will be married. Then changed into a vampire. Wonderful stuff- but certainly not enough to fill 768 pages. There's definately a trivial point that we, the readers, are missing. Who knows? Maybe Jacob and his werewolfy friend will crash the wedding a la Death Eater style. Maybe Bella will turn into Edward's lunch. Maybe even a half-vampire chicken Edward changed many years ago will come seeking revenge...

It's all purely hypothetical, all up in the air right now. Who knows what could happen?

No comments: