Thursday, July 10, 2008

Holiday Blues

Contradictorily to my last post, I do declare that going through the holidays without good reading material sucks. I have been partially saved from the brink of frustration by steamrolling through the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan (a very good series, but maybe a bit more suited for younger years) but now I am reduced to slavering over my computer, tired eyes scanning over the clichéd and the utterly repetitive world of fan fiction.

The best thing about going to school is that you have a pretty decent library sitting just within a few metres of wherever your classroom is. In the holidays, of course, I had to strech my loan limit to its boundries and travel home with a ton of books in my already-loaded bag, or otherwise get up early *shock horror!* and find myself a public library whose card I have not yet misplaced. *Sigh*. It's a hard life.

I have an undefinate list of books I want to read soon, mostly all choices influenced by friends who are able to steal the book faster off the shelves than me *glares at a certain someone*. Amongst them are Blood and Chocolate, another one vampire/werewolf (or is it just werewolf?) genre, Chocolat, (I saw the movie with Johnny Depp and few deep in love with the screenplay), the Dragonriders series, and a few classics such as Pride and Prejduice and Wuthering Heights.

However, the best thing about holidays is the free time to watch movies. There are a few good ones out right now- Prince Caspian (dubbed Prince Caspicum by my sister) and the latest Indiana Jones among others. I saw Get Smart on Sunday night, a good movie, but unfortunately not as good as the old Maxwell Smarts.

5 comments:

Ms McInnes aka G, K said...

Thanks for the nice comment about the library - we do try - your blog looks great - anyone else looking? "together we learn from each other" (Barbara Braxton)
What do you think of
http://seeme4books.com/
and
http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/movies/
See you next week,
Enjoy the hols, Ms Mc

MarryatvilleKoobs said...

Gah, I know how you feel. My brain feels as if it is deprived of books. I hate that. I have to say that the book 'Chocolat' is a wonderful book. I personally liked the movies better than the book. Although there are many differences in the plot it is good that they have stuck to the same idea of the plot.
I can't wait to get back to school, I am about to die of boredom. (That sounds so so wrong)
Oh and I have to agree with you, I hate how you have to borrow books from public libraries and take a giant bag with you which is always too small. I miss the school library.
Oh and I hope you have fun with the maximum ride series! That was so werid bumping into you in town :P

Captain Libeka.

RavenclawGal said...

That was fun :P
I've finished both Chocolat and the Maximum Ride series now. Chocolat a great book,very well written, and the screenplay writers did a fantasic job (in my opinion) putting it up on screen.
Maximum Ride... in truth, I was rather disappointed with half of the second and the whole third book. You said how things got just too unbelievable in Wereling? Yeah. Still love number one, and number four was awesome too.
I'm also getting into the Book Thief, a novel I stole from my sister- she needs it for English.

MarryatvilleKoobs said...

Hmm.... the person you speak of, it wouldn't happen to be me, would it? =P

Mrs Edward Cullen

RavenclawGal said...

You? Steal books from me? Never!